NSW Legislative Council Unanimously Supports Greens Motion Recognising the Hurt Caused by Senator Pauline Hanson’s Comments
Greens NSW MP and Multiculturalism Spokesperson, Dr Mehreen
Faruqi MLC, has welcomed the NSW Legislative Council’s unanimous support in
passing her motion acknowledging the hurt caused by Senator Pauline Hanson’s
first speech as well as rejecting racism, bigotry and Islamophobia and
reaffirming support for a multicultural Australia.
Dr. Faruqi said:
"I am so proud that all parties in the NSW Parliament have recognised the deep hurt caused by Senator Hanson’s comments to the Muslim community.
“We will not sit back and accept racism, Islamophobia and the marginalisation of members of our multicultural community. We need to call it out whether it happens in the streets or in Federal Parliament.
“The Greens will always stand up for a multicultural society and reject all forms of bigotry and racism, no matter where they originate from.
“We all love the rich, vibrant and diverse tapestry of multicultural NSW where people of all races and religions are welcome. Senator Hanson’s divisive comments target certain communities and undermine respect that we all owe each other in an inclusive society,” she concluded.
978. Dr Faruqi to move—
1. That this House notes that on 14 September 2016, One Nation Senator Pauline Hanson delivered her first speech in the Australian Senate in which she stated that the nation was ‘in danger of
being swamped by Muslims’ and called for a ban on further Muslim immigration.
2. That this House recognises the deep hurt caused by Senator Hanson’s comments to Muslim Australians.
3. That this House recognises that Senator Hanson’s comments undermine a harmonious and respectful multicultural society in Australia,
4. That this House condemns all forms of bigotry, racism and Islamophobia.
5. That this House reaffirms its support for a multicultural Australia where people of all races and religions are welcome.
Email Sada-e-Watan to a friend!